Throw light on the significance of the thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi in the present times. (150 words)
The thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi are significant in the present times for various reasons. Some of them are:
- They inspire us to uphold the values of truth, non-violence, human dignity and respect, and love of our fellow beings in a world plagued by violence, hatred, injustice and intolerance.
- They challenge us to critique modernity and its negative impacts on society, environment and culture. Gandhi advocated for a simple, sustainable and harmonious way of living that respects nature and diversity.
- They guide us to practice morality and spirituality in our personal and public lives. Gandhi believed that truth is God and morality is its basis. He also emphasized the importance of self-discipline, self-reliance and service.
- They encourage us to foster interdependence and cooperation at the international level. Gandhi recognized that no country can face the global challenges of environmental degradation, poverty, terrorism etc. alone. He also promoted dialogue and mutual understanding among different religions and cultures.
Some examples of how Gandhi’s thoughts are relevant today are:
- The United Nations has declared October 2 as the International Day of Non-Violence to commemorate Gandhi’s birthday and his contribution to peace.
- The concept of Satyagraha or non-violent resistance has been adopted by many social movements across the world such as civil rights movement in USA, anti-apartheid movement in South Africa etc.
- The idea of Swaraj or self-rule has inspired many countries to fight for their independence from colonialism and imperialism.
- The principle of Sarvodaya or welfare of all has influenced many development policies and programs that aim at reducing inequality and poverty.