- 17th edition of report tracking gender gap situation across 146 countries.
- Global gender gap score- 68.4%. This is a 0.3 percentage point improvement since last year.
- At the current progress rate, it would take 131 years to achieve full gender parity.
- While the score has recovered to pre-pandemic levels, the overall rate of change has slowed down.
- No country is yet to achieve full gender parity.
- Country-wise performance:
- The top 9 countries have closed at least 80% of their gender gap.
- The top performer is Iceland for the 14th time, having closed 91.2% of their gap. It is the only country to have closed >90% of its gender gap.
- Ranked at 27th spot- an improvement of 8 positions since last year.
- The score has improved by 1.4 percentage points and closed its gender gap by 64.3%.
- Parity has been achieved with regards to enrolment in all levels of education.
- There has been improvement with regards to:
- Parity in wages and income
- Political empowerment- 25.3% parity- with women representing 15.1% of parliamentarians (highest since the report started being published)
- Sex ratio at birth has improved by 1.9 percentage points
- However, it has closed only 36.7 % with regards to economic participation and opportunity.
- There has been a slight decline in the share of women in senior positions and technical roles. copyright©iasexpress.net
- India, like China, Vietnam and Azerbaijan, the low rankings under the Health and Survival parameter is because of the skewed sex ratios at birth.
- India’s neighbours:
- Southern Asian region- 63.4% gender parity, which is the 2nd lowest of the 8 regions. This is 1.1 percentage point increase since last year.
- Bangladesh 59th rank
- Bhutan 103rd rank
- China 107th rank
- Sri Lanka 115th rank
- Nepal 116th rank
- Pakistan 142nd rank
- Makes use of Global Gender Gap Index, a scale between 0 and 100- with the score to be interpreted as distance covered towards gender parity.
- The report benchmarks evolution of gender parity across 4 dimensions:
- Economic Participation and Opportunity
- Educational Attainment
- Health and Survival
- Political Empowerment
- Released by the World Economic Forum.
- Since 2006.