In recent news, India has taken a significant step towards enhancing its security measures by deploying Radiation Detection Equipment (RDE) at various strategic locations across its borders.
RDEs Installation Locations
Land Crossing Points
- India’s borders are equipped with RDEs to enhance security.
Specific Install Points
- Integrated Check Posts and land ports serve as key locations for RDE installation.
- Attari (Pakistan border)
- Petrapole (Bangladesh border)
- Agartala (Bangladesh border)
- Dawki (Bangladesh border)
- Sutarkandi (Bangladesh border)
- Raxaul (Nepal border)
- Jogbani (Nepal border)
- Moreh (Myanmar border)
Integrated Check Posts (ICPs) with High Cross-Border Movements
- ICPs are selected due to high cross-border movements of people and goods.
Drive-Through Monitoring Stations
- RDEs are deployed as drive-through monitoring stations.
- Monitoring includes scanning of trucks and cargo for radioactive materials.
Why RDEs are Deployed
- The primary purpose of RDEs is to prevent trafficking of radioactive materials.
- These materials can have potential use in nuclear devices, posing a significant threat to national security.
- RDEs play a crucial role in mitigating smuggling threats, particularly related to radioactive materials.
- This includes the risk of nuclear devices and radiological dispersal devices.
How RDEs Work
- RDEs are equipped with the following capabilities to detect and address potential threats effectively: copyright©iasexpress.net
- RDEs can raise alarms in the presence of specific types of radiation.
- Gamma radiation
- Neutron radiation
Generate Video Frames
- RDEs have the capability to generate video frames, allowing for visual inspection of suspected objects.
- RDEs can differentiate between special nuclear material and naturally occurring radiation.
- This is essential to prevent false alarms triggered by harmless substances like fertilizers and ceramics.
- RDEs can also detect high-energy gamma isotopes, a characteristic attribute of recycled uranium, further enhancing their detection capabilities.