The UAE recently withdrew from the CMF, without giving any reasons. According to the official statement, the move is a part of its ongoing evaluation of effective security cooperation with its partners.
- The Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) is a US-led multinational maritime partnership.
- Its primary objective is to uphold the Rules-Based International Order (RBIO) and ensure security, stability, and prosperity in international waters.
- CMF operates in approximately 3.2 million square miles of international waters, including vital shipping lanes.
- Notably, it is also tasked with securing the Gulf waterways.
- CMF aims to counter illicit non-state actors, promote security, stability, and prosperity.
- The headquarters of CMF is located in Bahrain, where it is co-located with the U.S. Naval Support Activity Bahrain.
- CMF was established in 2001 as a partnership among 12 nations.
- CMF consists of 38 member nations, including the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, India, Japan, South Korea, Pakistan, etc. and many others.
- The command structure of CMF involves a U.S. Navy Vice Admiral serving as the commander.
- The Deputy Commander is a United Kingdom Royal Navy Commodore.
- CMF operates through three task forces:
- CTF 150 (maritime security and counter-terrorism)
- CTF 151 (counter piracy)
- CTF 152 (Arabian Gulf security and cooperation). copyright©iasexpress.net
- Member nations contribute to CMF in various ways, ranging from providing liaison officers to supplying warships, support vessels, and maritime reconnaissance aircraft.
- Associated support can be provided by warships not explicitly assigned to CMF if they have the time and capacity to do so while fulfilling national tasks.
With reference to the Combined Maritime Forces (CMF), consider the following statements:
- The CMF is a US-led multinational maritime partnership established in 2001 with the primary objective of upholding the Rules-Based International Order (RBIO).
- The CMF operates in approximately 2.2 million square miles of international waters.
- CMF has 48 member nations, including India, Japan, South Korea, and others.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[a] 1 and 2 only
[b] 1 and 3 only
[c] 2 and 3 only
[d] 1 only
Answer: [d] 1 only
Statement 1: Correct. The CMF is indeed a US-led multinational maritime partnership established in 2001 with the main objective of upholding the Rules-Based International Order (RBIO).
Statement 2: Incorrect. The CMF operates in approximately 3.2 million square miles of international waters, not 2.2 million.
Statement 3: Incorrect. CMF consists of 38 member nations, not 48, and it includes nations like India, Japan, South Korea, among others.