Recently, the Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman who was arrested by the Pakistani rangers was returned to India. Pakistan claimed that Abhinandan was set free as a peace gesture. However, India maintained that Pakistan is obliged to release the pilot under the Geneva Conventions. It is imperative in this context to understand the provisions in Geneva Conventions on the treatment of prisoners of war (PoWs).This article explains the following in an analytical manner with a mindmap for better understanding and quick revision.
- What is the issue?
- What are the Geneva Conventions?
- Is the present conflict comes from the Geneva Conventions?
- What is prohibited under the convention?
- What are the rights enjoyed by a Prisoner of War under the convention?
- What about the release of prisoners?