The occasion of the 63rd foundation day of the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) marked a significant milestone in the organization’s journey. With its formidable presence in research and transformative efforts in shaping education, NCERT has been a driving force in improving school education, teacher training, and adult literacy.
This topic of “NCERT” is important from the perspective of the UPSC IAS Examination, which falls under General Studies Portion.
Evolution and Achievements
NCERT, also known by its full name, the National Council of Educational Research and Training, has emerged as a trailblazer in the field of education. As an autonomous organization focused on educational literature and training, NCERT has actively contributed to various aspects of education. Its achievements encompass:
- Research Excellence: NCERT’s dedication to research has resulted in valuable insights and advancements in education, positively impacting teaching methodologies and curriculum development.
- Educational Transformation: NCERT has played a pivotal role in shaping the landscape of school education, revamping teaching techniques, and promoting innovative approaches that enhance learning outcomes.
- Teacher Training: By providing comprehensive teacher training programs, NCERT has empowered educators with the skills and knowledge needed to deliver effective and engaging lessons.
- Adult Literacy: NCERT’s commitment extends to adult literacy initiatives, contributing to the upliftment of individuals and communities through education.
Looking ahead, NCERT aims to elevate its status by becoming a research university. This transformation holds immense promise, creating opportunities for global collaborations and expanding its contributions to the worldwide educational ecosystem.
NCERT as a Research University
- Global Collaborations: The transition to a research university would facilitate partnerships with institutions around the world, fostering the exchange of ideas and best practices in education.
- Global Impact: As a research university, NCERT’s contributions could extend beyond national boundaries, enriching education on a global scale and promoting cross-cultural understanding.
The NCERT Journey: A Glance Back in Time
Establishment and Autonomy
NCERT, established in 1961, has evolved into a leading authority on educational matters. Its autonomy allows it to innovate, develop curricula, and create educational resources that cater to the changing needs of students and educators.
Deemed University Status
The central government, on the advice of the University Grants Commission (UGC), has the authority to confer ‘Deemed-to-be-university’ status upon an Institution of Higher Education. This prestigious designation grants academic status and privileges akin to those of a university.
Expanding Academic Offerings
With the ‘Deemed-to-be-university’ status, NCERT can offer a broader range of academic programs, including graduate, postgraduate, and doctoral degrees. This expansion enhances the organization’s ability to shape a diverse pool of educators and researchers.
Innovations in Learning: Introducing “Jaadui Pitara”
Among NCERT’s innovative offerings is “Jaadui Pitara,” a play-based learning-teaching material designed for children aged 3 to 8. This product exemplifies NCERT’s commitment to making learning engaging and enjoyable for young learners, setting the foundation for a lifelong love of learning.