This topic of “Lee Kuan Yew” is important from the perspective of the UPSC IAS Examination, which falls under General Studies Portion.
- Prime Minister Pays Tribute: On the occasion of Lee Kuan Yew’s centenary, the Prime Minister pays tribute to the iconic leader.
- Himanta Biswa Sarma Honored: Assam Chief Minister, Himanta Biswa Sarma, receives the prestigious Lee Kuan Yew Exchange Fellowship of Singapore. Notable recipients include Arun Shourie (Former Union Minister), Shivraj Singh Chouhan (Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister), and Montek Singh Ahluwalia (Former vice-chairman of Planning Commission). The fellowship recognizes significant contributions to nation-building and the fostering of bilateral relations with Singapore.
- Fellowship Background: This fellowship is a tribute to Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore’s founding Prime Minister, and its patron is the current Prime Minister of Singapore.
Profile: Lee Kuan Yew
- Who Was He?: Lee Kuan Yew was the former Prime Minister of Singapore, known for his remarkable leadership and contributions to the nation.
- Notable Achievements:
- Longest-serving Prime Minister: He served as Singapore’s Prime Minister for an impressive tenure from 1959 to 1990.
- Singapore’s Separation from Malaysia: Lee Kuan Yew played a pivotal role in orchestrating Singapore’s separation from Malaysia in 1965, leading to the birth of the independent nation of Singapore.
- International Recognitions: He received numerous awards and honors during his lifetime, including the First Class Order of the Rising Sun from Japan in 1967, the Order of the Companions of Honour (C.H.) in 1970, and the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (G.C.M.G) in 1972. He was also recognized by countries such as Indonesia and Brunei for his contributions.
- Significance: Lee Kuan Yew is widely regarded as the founding father of modern Singapore. His visionary leadership and policies played a pivotal role in transforming Singapore from a small city-state into a global economic powerhouse and a model of efficient governance.
- Date of Birth: Lee Kuan Yew was born in 1923, and his centenary is being celebrated to honor his enduring legacy and contributions to Singapore and the world.