- Phase II of Varuna 2023 Conducted
This topic of “Varuna 2023” is important from the perspective of the UPSC IAS Examination, which falls under General Studies Portion.
What is Varuna 2023?
Varuna 2023 marks the 21st edition of the India-France bilateral naval exercise, a significant maritime collaboration between the two nations.
How is Varuna 2023 Conducted?
Varuna 2023 involves a series of joint naval operations, including:
- Underway Replenishment: Naval units engage in the replenishment of essential supplies while at sea, a vital skill for long deployments.
- Tactical Manoeuvres: The exercise includes tactical manoeuvres that test the capabilities of participating naval forces.
Aim of Varuna 2023
The primary objectives of Varuna 2023 are:
- Enhance War-fighting Skills: The exercise aims to improve the war-fighting capabilities of both the Indian and French naval forces.
- Improve Interoperability: It seeks to enhance interoperability between the two navies, allowing them to work seamlessly together in joint operations.
- Promote Regional Peace and Stability: Varuna contributes to the promotion of regional peace and stability by fostering closer ties between India and France in the maritime domain.
Who Participates in Varuna 2023?
The exercise involves the participation of:
- Indian Navy: The Indian Navy plays a significant role in Varuna 2023, contributing its assets and personnel.
- French Navy: The French Navy actively collaborates with the Indian Navy during the exercise.
Units Involved in Varuna 2023
The participating units include:
- Guided Missile Frigates: These naval vessels are equipped with guided missiles and play a crucial role in modern naval warfare.
- Tanker: The tanker provides the necessary logistics support for naval operations, including refueling at sea.
- Maritime Patrol Aircraft: These aircraft are used for surveillance, reconnaissance, and anti-submarine warfare.
- Integral Helicopters: Helicopters stationed on naval vessels enhance their anti-submarine, anti-surface, and search-and-rescue capabilities.
Where and When?
- Phase I: The initial phase of Varuna 2023 took place on the Western Seaboard of India, where naval forces practiced various exercises and drills.
- Phase II: The second phase of the exercise unfolded in the Arabian Sea, expanding the scope of joint naval operations.
- Historical Background: Varuna, which started in 1993, was renamed as such in 2001, underscoring the long-standing maritime partnership between India and France.
Varuna 2023 is not just an exercise in naval prowess but also a testament to the strong diplomatic and strategic ties between India and France. It serves as a platform for mutual learning, cooperation, and the strengthening of maritime security in the region.