- The Centralized Laboratory Network (CLN) is a global network of laboratories under the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).
- It tests vaccines for pandemic and epidemic diseases.
- CLN aims to identify the most promising vaccine candidates quickly and accurately.
- It seeks to improve sustainable regional outbreak preparedness infrastructure.
- The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) established and oversees the CLN.
- CEPI is an organization focused on developing vaccines against emerging infectious diseases.
- It was founded in 2017 at Davos, Switzerland.
- It is headquartered in Oslo, Norway.
- The CLN has 15 partner facilities in 13 countries.
- The new members of the CLN include laboratories in India, Senegal, Kenya, South Africa, and Uganda.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research-National Institute of Virology (ICMR-NIV) is one of the new members of CLN.
- The CLN uses standardized methods and materials for testing vaccines.
- It enables key immunogenicity and efficacy endpoint evaluation.
- The network supports COVID-19 vaccine developers in the pathway towards licensure.
- The laboratories in the network use common protocols and testing reagents to ensure uniformity in assessment.
- The CLN allows eligible vaccine developers to analyze the immune response elicited by their vaccine candidates without per sample charges. copyright©iasexpress.net
- It was launched in October 2020.
- Immunogenicity: The ability of a substance, such as a vaccine, to induce an immune response in the body.
- Efficacy: The ability of a vaccine to produce a desired effect, such as protection against a specific disease.
Consider the following statements:
- The Centralized Laboratory Network (CLN) was founded by the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).
- The Indian Council of Medical Research-National Institute of Virology (ICMR-NIV) is not a member of the CLN.
- The CLN uses common protocols and testing reagents for uniform assessment of vaccines.
How many of the above statements are correct?
(a) Only one
(b) Only two
(c) All three
Answer: (b) Only two
Statement 1 is correct. The CLN is overseen by CEPI. Statement 2 is incorrect. ICMR-NIV is a new member of the CLN. Statement 3 is correct. The CLN indeed uses common protocols and testing reagents for uniform assessment of vaccines. Therefore, only two statements are correct.