The Madras High Court has recently ruled that the Lieutenant Governor (L-G) of Puducherry should not interfere with the day-to-day administration of the Union Territory when an elected government is in place.
The court argued that the continued interference from the L-G would amount to running a “Parallel government”.
- What is the background of the issue?
- What is the High Court verdict?
- What was the Supreme Court’s verdict in this regard?
- Significance of the verdicts.
- [Table] Comparison between L-G of Delhi and L-G of Puducherry.