The year 2023 marks a crucial halfway point for the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Within this context, the launch of the Campaign for Forest Protection at the 2023 SDG Summit holds great significance, especially concerning targets related to forests, including the Global Forest Goals outlined in the UN Strategic Plan for Forests (2017-2030).
Campaign for Forest Protection
A concerted effort and campaign aimed at the protection and conservation of forests.
Urgent Need for Action and Political Will
- The campaign underscores the pressing need for urgent action to protect forests worldwide.
- Political will and commitment are essential to implement effective forest preservation strategies that align with the UN SDGs.
Call to Action for Forests (Towards 2030)
The campaign, titled “Call to Action for Forests (Towards 2030),” is structured around four focal areas:
- Implementation and Action: The campaign emphasizes the need for concrete actions and strategies to protect and conserve forests.
- Data, Science, and Innovation: Utilizing scientific knowledge and innovative approaches to enhance forest conservation efforts.
- Financial Support for Forests: Mobilizing financial resources to support sustainable forest management and protection.
- Communication and Raising Awareness: Spreading awareness about the importance of forests and garnering global support.
Initiative by Collaborative Partnership on Forests (CPF)
The Campaign for Forest Protection is an initiative led by the Collaborative Partnership on Forests (CPF), a coalition of 16 global entities dedicated to forest preservation and management. The CPF is chaired by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). copyright©iasexpress.net
Forest Loss Data
- Since 1990, a staggering 420 million hectares of forest have been lost due to deforestation.
- While the deforestation rate has declined over time, it remains a significant concern, decreasing from 12 million hectares per year (2010-2015) to 10 million hectares per year (2015-2020). These figures are sourced from FAO’s Global Forest Resources Assessment.
Collaborative Partnership on Forests’ Perspective
- The CPF recognizes the challenges and opportunities associated with forest management.
- It emphasizes that action and ambition are crucial, with CPF members committed to reinforcing actions that strengthen the contribution of forests to sustainable development in line with the Vision for Forests by 2030.
- These efforts align with broader international initiatives such as the Climate Ambition Summit, SDG Summit, and anticipate negotiations at the Rio Conventions and the “Summit of the Future.”