(b) Costa Rica
- Somalia is the country that has been suffering from decades of civil strife and food shortages.
- It was in the news in the recent past for its very severe famine.
- The famine in Somalia is a result of a catastrophic combination of conflict, high food prices, and drought.
- This has left more than 11 million people in desperate need.
- The country is currently experiencing its worst drought in nearly 40 years.
- A looming famine could leave more than 8 million people without enough food to eat by next summer.
- Somalia has seen three decades of conflict, destabilizing communities.
- Currently, it produces less than half the amount of food it did before its civil war began in the early 1990s.
- This has forced the country to become increasingly dependent on aid.
- The other countries listed in the question are not currently experiencing famine.
- Angola is a country in southern Africa that has been recovering from a civil war that ended in 2002.
- Costa Rica is a country in Central America that is known for its stable democracy and high standard of living.
- Ecuador is a country in South America that is known for its natural resources and biodiversity. copyright©iasexpress.net
Inputs from Current Affairs Notes