1. Gold mining activity is a source of mercury pollution in the world.
2. Coal-based thermal power plants cause mercury pollution.
3. There is no known safe level of exposure to mercury.
How many of the above statements are correct?
(a) Only one
(b) Only two
(c) All three
- Gold mining activity, specifically artisanal and small-scale gold mining (ASGM), is the largest source of anthropogenic mercury emissions worldwide. Coal-based thermal power plants also cause mercury pollution.
- There is no known safe level of exposure to mercury. Exposure to mercury threatens our health, with many often irreversible toxic effects. Developing fetuses and young children are most at risk.
- So, all three of the above statements are correct. The correct answer is All three.
Inputs from Environment Mindmap Notes