This topic of “Scheme For Dronacharya Award For Outstanding Coaches In Sports And Games” is important from the perspective of the UPSC IAS Examination, which falls under General Studies Portion.
- The Dronacharya Award for Outstanding Coaches in Sports and Games aims to recognize and honor coaches who have enabled sportspersons to excel in international events.
- The award also motivates coaches to raise the standard of sportspersons to the highest performance in international events, bringing glory to the country.
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in India is responsible for the Dronacharya Award scheme.
- To recognize and reward coaches for outstanding and meritorious work done on a consistent basis.
- To motivate coaches to raise the standard of sportspersons to the highest performance in international events.
- The award includes a statuette, certificate, ceremonial dress, and a cash prize of ₹ 5,00,000/- presented to the winners at a function held by the Government of India.
- Ordinarily, not more than 5 awards could be given in any calendar year, out of which 2 are earmarked for lifetime contribution to coaching.
- The coach, whether working full-time or part-time, should have produced outstanding achievement over a period of four years immediately preceding the year in which the award is to be given.
- For two awards earmarked for lifetime contribution in coaching, achievements of the coach in producing outstanding sportspersons over a period of 20 years or more will be taken into account.
- The coach must not be involved in any act of criminal or moral turpitude nature.
- Sportspersons who have already been conferred with Dhyan Chand Award will not be eligible to apply for Dronacharya Award.
- Nominations for the award can be made by National Sports Federations, Indian Olympic Association, Sports Promotion, and Control Boards, and the State/UT Governments.
- For cricket, nominations from the Board for Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) will be invited.
- The Selection Committee recommends the final list of coaches for the Awards as per the marks obtained in terms of the criteria indicated above.
- The recommendations of the Selection Committee will be placed before the Union Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports for the final decision.