How many of the above statements are correct?
(a) Only one
(b) Only two
(c) All three
1. India has more arable area than China.
- India has a total arable land area of 1,656,780 square kilometers, while China has a total arable land area of 1,084,461 square kilometers. (source)
- Therefore, statement 1 is correct.
2. The proportion of irrigated area is more in India as compared to China.
- India has 57 million hectares of irrigated land, whereas China has 54 million hectares. (source)
- Therefore, Statement 2 is also correct.
3.The average productivity per hectare in Indian agriculture is higher than that in China.
- India had a lower productivity level in terms of tonne per hectare for both paddy and wheat compared to China. India’s productivity for paddy was 3.1 tonne/hectare, while China’s was 6.5 tonne/hectare. Similarly, India’s productivity for wheat was 2.9 tonne/hectare, while China’s was 4.7 tonne/hectare. (Source)
- Even with much lesser land under cultivation, China produces agricultural output valued at $1,367 billion—more than three times that of India’s $407 billion. (Source)
- Therefore, the statement 3 is not correct.
Hence, only two statements are correct.
The answer is: (b) Only two.