- CUD or cannabis abuse refers to continues use of the drug despite physical, psychological and social impairment.
- It is characterized by:
- Impaired control
- Social impairment
- Risky behaviour
- Physiological changes like higher tolerance
- It is a significant public health concern.
- There are no approved treatment at present.
- The behavioural changes are brought about by the activation of the by the drug’s main psychoactive component, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol).
- 19.5% of people who use the drug develop CUD.