- Large butterfly species
- 7 cm wingspan
- Females have more transparent wings as they tend to rub their wings against each other, leading to shedding of scales.
- Experts opine that the re-emergence in the UK is possibly due to unscientific release, rather than global warming.
- This means that the re-emergence doesn’t necessarily mean that the species would enoy long term survival in the islands.
- Abundant in Europe and northern Africa.
- Considered extinct in the UK.
- Considered to be extinct in the UK since 1925.