Recently, the new government in the Maldives expressed its indebtedness towards China due to the latter’s construction activities in the Maldives. However, Maldives also has fears over the unsustainable Chinese debts. Notably, the new president, Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, wants to restore ties with India. Hence the situation in Male (Maldives’ capital) provides both opportunities and risks to India.
This big-picture article explains the following in an analytical manner with a mindmap for quick revision.
- About the Maldives
- What is the political background of Maldives?
- What is the importance of the Maldives for India?
- What are the areas of cooperation?
- What are the areas of contention?
- The President of Maldives’s visit to India in December 2018.