The celebration of National Sports Day is a powerful reminder of the integral role that sports play in our lives.
Embracing the Value of Sports
A Day of Acknowledgment
National Sports Day, now in its 12th year, stands as a testament to the importance of sports in shaping our physical, mental, and communal well-being.
2023 Theme: “Sports are an Enabler to an Inclusive and Fit Society”
This year’s theme emphasizes the transformative potential of sports, highlighting its capacity to foster inclusivity and contribute to a healthier society.
Tribute to Major Dhyan Chand
Remembering a Legend
National Sports Day is observed on the birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand, a figure of immense significance in the realm of sports.
- Birth Anniversary: In 2023, the nation commemorates the 118th birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand.
- Hockey Maestro: Major Dhyan Chand is renowned for his pivotal role in Indian hockey, leaving an indelible mark on the sport.
A Legacy of Excellence
- Olympic Triumphs: Major Dhyan Chand’s achievements include securing Olympic gold medals for India in three consecutive editions – 1928, 1932, and 1936.
- A Scorer Beyond Compare: His exceptional skills translated to 570 goals for India across 185 matches spanning from 1926 to 1949.
- A Remarkable Milestone: Major Dhyan Chand’s legacy extends even further, with an astonishing total of over 1,000 goals encompassing domestic and international matches. copyright©iasexpress.net
- Honored Recognition: In 1956, he was bestowed with the Padma Bhushan, an accolade that underscores his remarkable contribution to Indian sports.
A Day of Tribute and Commemoration
August 29th: A Date to Celebrate
National Sports Day is observed annually on August 29th, a date that aligns with the birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand.
A Tradition Since 2012
Since 2012, National Sports Day has been a recurring observance, symbolizing the enduring impact of sports on our lives and society.