- The President conferred the National Florence Nightingale Awards.
- The award was conferred to sisters- Major General Smita Devrani (Additional Director General of Military Nursing Service) and Brigadier Amita Devrani (Brigadier MNS in Southern Command headquarters).
- In total, the awards were given to 30 dedicated caregivers.
- It is a national award recognizing the meritorious service by nurses and other nursing professionals.
- Instituted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Instituted in 1973.