The United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) is a principal organ of the UN responsible for coordinating economic, social, and related work across various UN agencies, functional commissions, and regional commissions. Its main functions include:
- Promoting higher standards of living, full employment, and economic and social progress
- Identifying solutions to international economic, social, and health problems
- Facilitating international cultural and educational cooperation
- Encouraging universal respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms
ECOSOC has several functional commissions attached to it, including:
- Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND): Addresses drug control and prevention, focusing on international cooperation and policy development.
- Commission on Population and Development (CPD): Studies population issues and trends, providing policy recommendations to promote sustainable development.
- Commission for Social Development (CSocD): Focuses on social development issues, such as poverty eradication, employment, and social integration.
- Commission on the Status of Women (CSW): Promotes gender equality and the empowerment of women, formulating policies and global standards.
- Statistical Commission: Develops statistical standards and guidelines for data collection, analysis, and dissemination.
- Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ): Addresses crime prevention and criminal justice issues, promoting international cooperation and policy development.
- Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD): Provides policy advice on science, technology, and innovation for sustainable development. copyright©iasexpress.net
- United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF): Promotes sustainable forest management and conservation, addressing related social, economic, and environmental issues.
India has been elected to four key ECOSOC bodies, including the Commission on Science and Technology for Development. These functional commissions play a crucial role in addressing global challenges and formulating policy recommendations for sustainable development.