This topic of “Scheme For Arjuna Awards For Outstanding Performance In Sports And Games” is important from the perspective of the UPSC IAS Examination, which falls under General Studies Portion.
- The Arjuna Award is India’s highest sporting award bestowed by the Government of India to sportspersons for their outstanding performance in international as well as national events and leadership qualities with good morals.
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
- Recognize sportspersons for their outstanding performance in international as well as national events and leadership qualities.
- Encourage sportsmanship and sense of discipline.
- Statuette, certificate, ceremonial dress, and a cash award of ₹ 15,00,000 presented to the winners in a function to be held at a place and on a date to be decided by the Government of India.
- Sportsperson should have had good performance over the previous four years at the international level.
- During the years when the Olympic Games, Commonwealth, and Asian Games are held, the achievements of the sportspersons in these Games and other international tournaments will also be considered.
- Sportspersons who have been penalized or against whom inquiry is pending/ongoing for use of drugs/substances banned by the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) will not be eligible.
- The award is conferred only in disciplines falling under Olympic Games/Asian Games/Commonwealth Games/World Cup/Word Championship disciplines and cricket or any equivalent recognized international Tournament, Indigenous Games, and sports for physically challenged.
- Applications are invited only online through a dedicated Portal.
- Sportspersons eligible in accordance with the award guidelines are permitted to self-apply without the recommendation of the authorities/persons through the online Portal.
- No award will be made for a second time to the same person.