1. Recently, all the countries of the United Nations have adopted the first-ever compact for international migration, the ‘Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM)’.
2. The objectives and commitments stated in the GCM are binding on the UN member countries.
3. The GCM addresses internal migration or internally displaced people also in its objectives and commitments.
How many of the above statements are correct?
(a) Only one
(b) Only two
(c) All three
- The Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM) was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 19 December 2018. However, not all UN member countries have adopted the GCM. As of February 2023, 152 countries have adopted the GCM.
- The objectives and commitments stated in the GCM are not binding on UN member countries. The GCM is a non-binding agreement that provides a framework for cooperation on migration.
- The GCM does not address internal migration or internally displaced people. The GCM focuses on international migration.
- Therefore, none of the statements are correct.
Inputs from IAS EXPRESS Current Affairs Notes