- Ghataprabha – Telangana
- Gandhi Sagar – Madhya Pradesh
- Indira Sagar – Andhra Pradesh
- Maithon – Chhattisgarh
How many pairs given above are not correctly matched?
(a) Only one pair
(b) Only two pairs
(c) Only three pairs
(d) All four pairs
Out of the given pairs of reservoirs and states, three pairs are not correctly matched:
- Ghataprabha – Telangana: The Ghataprabha Reservoir is located in the Belgavi district of Karnataka, not in Telangana.
- Gandhi Sagar – Madhya Pradesh: This pair is correctly matched. The Gandhi Sagar Dam is located in the Mandsaur district of Madhya Pradesh.
- Indira Sagar – Andhra Pradesh: The Indira Sagar Dam is located on the Narmada River in the Khandwa district of Madhya Pradesh, not in Andhra Pradesh.
- Maithon – Chhattisgarh: The Maithon Dam is located in the state of Jharkhand, not in Chhattisgarh.
Therefore, the correct answer is (c) Only three pairs.
- Ghataprabha Reservoir: Located in Karnataka, the reservoir has a storage capacity of about 659 million cubic meters and provides irrigation to a total extent of 1,396,000 hectares of land.
- Gandhi Sagar Dam: Located in Madhya Pradesh, this dam is built on the Chambal River and has a height of 62.17 meters. It serves as a source of hydroelectric power generation and irrigation.
- Indira Sagar Dam: This dam is the largest in India in terms of volume of water stored in the reservoir. It is located on the Narmada River in Madhya Pradesh and serves as a multipurpose project for irrigation and power generation.
- Maithon Dam: Located in Jharkhand, the Maithon Dam is built on the Barakar River and has a length of 15,712 ft and a height of 165 ft. It is designed for flood control and generates 60,000 kW of electric power.