Site : Well known for
1. Besnagar : Shaivite cave shrine
2. Bhaja : Buddhist cave shrine
3. Sittanavasal : Jain cave shrine
How many of the above pairs are correctly matched?
(a) Only one
(b) Only two
(c) All three
The correct answer is (c).
- Besnagar was probably an important ancient temples and pilgrimage site. Two major archaeological excavations in the 20th-century have revealed the pillar to be a part of an ancient Vasudeva temple site.
- Bhaja is a village in the Pune district of Maharashtra, India. It is known for the Bhaja Caves, a group of 22 rock-cut caves dating from the 2nd century BCE to the 2nd century CE. The caves are a Buddhist shrine.
- Sittanavasal is a village in the Pudukkottai district of Tamil Nadu, India. It is known for the Sittanavasal Caves, a group of 11 rock-cut caves dating from the 2nd century BCE to the 8th century CE. The caves are a Jain shrine.
- Therefore, all three pairs are correctly matched.
Inputs from IAS EXPRESS's Ancient India Mindmap notes