Purpose: To regulate the electricity sector in India
Year of Establishment: 1998
Ministry: Ministry of Power, Government of India
Statutory/Constitutional Status: Established under the Electricity Act, 2003
Organisation Type: Regulatory body
1) Formulate and notify the tariffs for the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity.
2) Promote competition, efficiency, and economy in the electricity market.
3) Impose penalties and initiate actions against companies or individuals who violate the provisions of the Electricity Act, 2003.
4) Address grievances of electricity consumers.
5) Monitor and review the performance of electricity utilities.
6) Promote and protect the interests of consumers.
7) Promote and develop the electricity market.
8) Promote cogeneration and generation of electricity from renewable sources of energy.