- It refers to the use of the marine mammals for military tasks.
- Cetaceans like bottle-nosed dolphins and Beluga whales are highly intelligent and can be trained to perform military undertakings such as:
- Detection of submarines, mines, suspicious objects or individuals
- Carry out surveillance using equipment attached to the animals by harnesses
- Even planting explosives on enemy devices
- An example is ‘Hvaldimir’, a harness-wearing whale that was spotted in Norway in 2019.
- Other animals like sea lions can also be used. Eg: the US navy used these animals to support Operation Enduring Freedom in Bahrain in 2003.
- The practice was started by the Soviet and the USA.
- The practice dates back to the Cold War era.