- Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) Phase I was launched by the Prime Minister of India on 2nd October 2014 to accelerate efforts to achieve universal sanitation coverage.
- Ministry of Jal Shakti is responsible for implementing the Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) program.
- The program aims to achieve universal safe sanitation and ensure that no one is left behind.
- The Phase II of the program, ODF-Plus, focuses on reinforcing ODF behaviors and providing interventions for the safe management of solid and liquid waste in villages.
- Financial support of Rs. 12,000 for APL and BPL rural households for constructing toilets and storage for handwashing and cleaning.
- Payment of incentives may be in cash or in the form of construction materials or credit vouchers for such materials.
- Construction of individual household latrines (IHHL), community sanitary complexes (CSCs), solid liquid waste management (SLWM) activities, information, education, and communication (IEC) and human resource development (HRD) activities are provided under the scheme.
- Any rural household without access to an individual household toilet is eligible for the scheme.
- Preference is given to BPL, APL, SC/ST, persons with disabilities, widow/old age pensioners, landless laborers with homestead, small farmers, marginal farmers, and women-headed households.
- The program excludes all houses constructed with central and/or state assistance, which should have a safe sanitation facility as an integral part.