Introduction: The Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan Yojana (SUMAN) is a maternity benefit scheme launched by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to provide affordable and quality healthcare solutions to pregnant women and newborns.
Ministry/Agency: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Objectives: The objectives of the SUMAN scheme are as follows:
- To offer zero expenses and access to detection and management of complications during and after pregnancy
- To ensure zero-tolerance for denial of services to children and pregnant women
- To provide free transport from home to the health facility and drop back after discharge
- To facilitate respectful care with privacy and support for breastfeeding
- To offer facilities such as services for sick newborns and neonates and vaccination for zero cost
Benefits: The benefits of the SUMAN scheme include:
- Zero expense delivery and C-section facilities at public health facilities
- Four antenatal check-ups, one check-up during the 1st trimester, and one check-up under Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
- Coverage for Tetanus-Diphtheria injection iron-folic acid supplementation, six home-based newborn care visits, and components of the ANC package
- Free transport from home to the health facility and dropped back after discharge
- Counseling and IEC/BCC facilities for safe motherhood
- Hassle-free access to all medical facilities
Eligibility: All pregnant women and newborns are eligible to avail of the benefits under the PM SUMAN Yojana. Pregnant women from all categories, including APL and BPL, are eligible to get the benefits. Newborns aged 0 to 6 months old and lactating mothers up to 6 months from delivery are also eligible for this scheme.
Implementation strategy: The SUMAN scheme aims to provide affordable and quality healthcare solutions to pregnant women and newborns by offering zero expense delivery and C-section facilities at public health facilities, four antenatal check-ups, and other benefits. The scheme also aims to provide free transport, counseling, and IEC/BCC facilities for safe motherhood. All pregnant women and newborns are eligible to avail of the benefits under the PM SUMAN Yojana.