1. Ballistic missiles are jet-propelled at subsonic speeds throughout their flights, while cruise missiles are rocket-powered only in the initial phase of flight.
2. Agni-V is a medium-range supersonic cruise missile, while BrahMos is a solid-fuelled intercontinental ballistic missile.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- The first statement is incorrect. Ballistic missiles follow a ballistic trajectory over most of their flight path and are only propelled for a short time after launch. Cruise missiles are self-propelled for the majority of their flight, flying in a relatively straight line and at lower altitudes due to rocket propellant.
- The second statement is also incorrect. Agni-V is actually an intercontinental ballistic missile, while BrahMos is a supersonic cruise missile.
- So, neither of the statements given above is correct. The correct answer is (d) Neither 1 nor 2.
Inputs from Prelims Sureshots >> Missiles