India has a multiplicity of commissions established for the protection and promotion of the rights of vulnerable sections of society such as women, children, scheduled castes and tribes, minorities, and others. The overlapping jurisdiction and duplication of functions among these commissions are a major challenge. In this context, the idea of merging all these commissions into an umbrella Human Rights Commission has been proposed.
Arguments in favor of merging all commissions into an umbrella Human Rights Commission:
- Efficient utilization of resources: The merger of all commissions into a single Human Rights Commission would result in efficient utilization of resources, which are currently being utilized by multiple commissions. This will result in cost savings and prevent duplication of functions.
- Avoidance of overlapping of jurisdiction: Overlapping of jurisdiction among different commissions leads to confusion and inefficiency in their functioning. The merging of all commissions will help in avoiding such overlapping and create a more effective system.
- Greater emphasis on human rights: A Human Rights Commission would focus on the overarching goal of protecting and promoting human rights in India. This will lead to a greater emphasis on human rights and better protection for vulnerable sections of society.
Arguments against merging all commissions into an umbrella Human Rights Commission:
- Loss of focus: Merging all commissions may lead to a loss of focus on specific issues faced by different vulnerable sections of society.
- Specialization: Each commission is specialized in addressing the specific issues of the vulnerable section it represents. Merging these commissions into an umbrella Human Rights Commission may result in a loss of specialization, which may adversely affect the effectiveness of their work.
- Constitutional mandate: Some commissions have been established under specific constitutional provisions, and any attempt to merge them may be unconstitutional.
In conclusion, while merging all commissions into an umbrella Human Rights Commission may have some advantages, it is important to carefully consider the potential drawbacks as well.