From Prelims Sureshots » Government Bodies & Agencies
- central law enforcement and intelligence agency tasked with combating drug trafficking and use of illegal substances under the provisions of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985 and fight its violation through the Prevention of Illicit Trafficking in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1988.
- Established in 1986 under Department of Internal Security (Ministry of Home Affairs).
- to fight drug trafficking on an all-India level
- works in close cooperation with
- the Customs and Central Excise/GST,
- State Police Department,
- Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI),
- Central Economic Intelligence Bureau (CEIB)
- other Indian intelligence and law enforcement agencies both at the national and states level.
- provides resources and training to the personnel of India’s Drug Law Enforcement Agencies in fighting drug trafficking
- monitors India’s frontiers to track down points where smuggling activities take place with foreign traffickers
- implementation of India’s international obligations with regard to drug trafficking, and assisting international and foreign drug law enforcement agencies to fulfill India’s treaty obligations under the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, Convention on Psychotropic Substances, United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances.
No posts found.